Pages

January 31, 2012

Price of medication

While sitting in class, hearing the calming sounds of the professor voice as I tuned her out, my attention was jarred by a new sound of pills --- You know that distinctive sound of pills rolling around in that small orange bottle.


Immediately, I was intrigued because the young man preparing to take these pills looked like a strapping young fellow and I was ever so interested to know what he needed medication for.  Since I couldn't ask, I decided to amuse myself by watching him because obviously I still was not paying attention to the lecture.  The young man proceeded to make a considerable amount of noise with his pill  bottle, to the point where I was surprised more people were not watching him.  But unfortunately, I proved to be the only noisy person in class.

After he had finally shaken free one pill and his pill bottle was secured in his backpack he went to fiddle with a Mountain Dew bottle.  Now if your thinking what I was thinking, then yes, I also thought Mountain Dew was a strange choice of liquid to take with medicine.  I really couldn't judge because Mountain Dew just so happens to be one of my favorite beverages, however, for medicine I would have chosen water or in some cases fruit juice.  But as I said, I was not judging...

While unscrewing his Mountain Dew soda bottle he accidentally managed to drop his pill.  From my seat I could not clearly see where the pill had dropped but I continued to watch.  I then observed him check his pants, scoot back in his chair, check the floor and bend over to retrieve something from the ground... In my assumption, it was his pill.

Now being that this was my number one entertainment for the hour, I was all to intrigued to know what was going to happen next.  Was he going to go through the whole loud production of shaking out one more pill, or was he going to be done with pill taking ordeal for the time being, or... was he going to eat it...  I watched in anticipation.

He took a moment to situate himself and then there was a pause.  During his pause I momentarily looked away just in case by some off chance he looked at me I wouldn't be caught me starring.  Then, it happened.  My peripheral vision caught him raise his hand to his mouth.  Now with my eyes trained in anticipation I witnessed him inconspicuously hover his hand with the pill by his mouth, then, he ate it and chased it down with his Mountain Dew.

At this point I was completely disgusted and started to judge him- slightly.  What grown person still eats of the floor?  Please people, that is only for kids because they don't know any better. Grown people should do better strictly because they know better.  But in the height of my disgust, I  had a flashback to when I accidentally dropped my iphone in a public toilet... Before this unfortunate event I would have hastily said there is never any reason, under no circumstances, to stick your hand in a toilet.  However, when my phone slipped from my back pocket into the toilet bowl it was almost instinctual to stick my hand in the toilet as I did without a second thought. It was only after I had safely retrieved my iphone that my natural germaphobic characteristics resurfaced.  When it was all said and done, I didn't quite know if I felt disgusted with myself especially since my iphone survived the ordeal due to my lightning speed hands.



My driving motivation was the fact that I did not have money to replace my iphone due to water (toilet) damage.  Thus it caused me to do things uncharacteristic of me (i.e. touching any part of a public toilet). With this in mind, I started to wonder... Was it right to judge this man for eating his medication off the floor.  Either he is really nasty or there is a driving motivation for him to do so.   Since I would like to think the best of people, I believe the latter. But seriously, my honest question is: What is the price of medication?





One Love

No comments: